color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: God Speed You, Son

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

God Speed You, Son

Dear Son,
Thank you for calling this morning from the airport. I'm sorry I got all teary-eyed (again!), but I know you understand that they are tears of love and concern for you, our precious son. God speed you as you return to the next phase of this life-altering journey you have undertaken -- one that takes you so far from the family, friends and home you so dearly love. Stay strong and happy (as happy as you can be in such circumstances.)
We will ask God every day and many times a day to keep you and your brothers and sisters safe as you work to complete this mission. I will pray, too, for enlightenment for those who would do you and others harm in God's name, by whatever name they call Him. We all know that it is their excuse to kill others and not the reason. We will pray, too, that the Iraqi people are given the strength and fortitude to fully join this fight and win against people possessed by such evil so that you may come home to us soon.
We know that you will call or email as soon as you are settled at your new camp, but it will not be soon enough. Call as often as you can so that we can tell you again how proud we are of you, how much we miss you and how much and how many love you! Watch the mail as there are already packages and letters making their way to you and your buds. You may be away from our persons, but you are always in our hearts.
Finally, drink lots of water, change your socks often, use bug repellant, watch out for the spiders (shudder), keep your kevlar on, eyes up and your butt down, zero up and aim true. We love you with all our hearts, son!!
All our love, Mom & Dad

8 Comments:

At 7/12/2005 5:40 PM , Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Beautiful mom. I would like to add,thank you so much for serving our country. God speed and stay safe.

 
At 7/13/2005 7:47 AM , Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

You capture feelings well with this post, saying goodbye, AGAIN....*sigh*.

Just plain old hard, no matter how you look at it.

I will SAY BIG PRAYERS for him....

how many more months is it?

 
At 7/13/2005 9:28 AM , Blogger Stacy said...

I know that it must be so hard to say good-bye again. That is the only thing that I am not looking forward to when my son comes home on his R&R...

Take care

 
At 7/13/2005 2:51 PM , Blogger Melinda said...

Goodbyes are never easy and by far one of my most unfavorite things about being married to a military guy.

The only good thing about goodbye is that you're one day closer to the "hello" you think about day in and day out.

Beautifully written, as always!

 
At 7/13/2005 5:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just now starting this roller coaster ride of being a military Dad. My son was scheduled to go to Boot Camp in August, and his recruiter called yesterday to see if he wanted to go in a month early. My son said yes, and then got a call today that said that slot had already been taken.

I know he will be a good marine, but I also know he won't write home worth two hoots! It's gonna be a long four years!

 
At 7/13/2005 6:44 PM , Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

Dear Anonymous/Marine Dad

You will do fine -- although I promise you that it's not easy -- and it really is a roller coaster for both the families AND the service member! You and your son and his entire family have our gratitude for his service.

There is an email link on my profile if you have questions or just need to commiserate or vent sometimes...

Your support will mean everything to your son (whether he acknowledges it or not!)

 
At 7/13/2005 9:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I've felt all you're feeling (years ago) and this brought it back...such a mixture of love, joy, sadness, pride, fear...(He's a man, but he's my baby) My thanks, love and prayers go out to all of you.

 
At 7/14/2005 6:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always touch my heart with your eloquent writing. What a fabulous mom you are! You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home