color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: The Kingdom (the movie)

Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Kingdom (the movie)

Now, as for "The Kingdom" -- not anti-American particularly... action sequences pretty good... graphic... if you suffer from combat-related PTSD, the bombing and firefights may be a bit too intense... while I thought the scenes graphic, I also thought it necessary if it convinces just one person of the nature of the beasts we fight... the movie's a little fuzzy on the politics... the only real message is "It's going to be a Long War." Finally, most of the film is shot in close up and shaky in many scenes -- jumping quickly from scene to scene and back... if you get motion sick easily do not sit too close and a scopolamine patch might not be out of order. Worth the money? Yea.

3 Comments:

At 9/29/2007 8:20 PM , Blogger Miss Ladybug said...

Thanks for the quick rundown on this movie, SSM! I was leary about it when I first started seeing trailers for it... I'll keep it on the "might see if I get a chance" list.

 
At 9/30/2007 1:49 PM , Blogger NahnCee said...

I liked it. The camera work was too jittery - one of the reviews said that was to cover up clunky dialogue, but I didn't notice clunky dialogue so I guess it worked.

I didn't spot anything obvious that I know is untrue or false. It appears to me that most of it was actually filmed in Saudi Arabia - the
freeways, the palaces, the air views of the city -- so that I have to believe the film-makers had the approval and cooperation of the highest
levels of Saud government. I predict we will hear some major league whining and seething because it *does* portray the Sandbox in an
unflattering light, although it also emphasizes mutual humanity, respect, cooperation and family values -- all that good stuff that they're forever yammering on about building "bridges" to the West about. I heard one woman saying as we were walking out that "it tries to present
both sides" and while I don't think there *is* any "side" to blowing people up, I know what she meant.

Saud simply isn't used to even the vaguest of criticism which is why I think there will be a bad reaction back home and we'll hear the words "racism" and "Islamophobia" being
hurled around again.

THe ending is particularly eyebrow-raising and thoughtful-making.

The person I went with said she wanted to see it again because she thinks she missed part of the "subtle messages". I think she's seeing it as a lesson/dictionary on all-things Saud and wants to soak up all the information she can. This is a Good Thing if uncommitted Middle America can start getting educated on these issues and occurrances.

 
At 9/30/2007 4:44 PM , Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

actually, nahncee, most of the sequences were filmed in and around Phoenix and Mesa, AZ... some of the locations were filmed in Dubai

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingdom_(film) for details.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home