color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: I'll Take That Call Any Time!

Friday, July 15, 2005

I'll Take That Call Any Time!

Our son called at 4:00 yesterday morning (to be fair, it was 2:00 in the afternoon by him -- and frankly, I'll take that call any time!) He's currently in Kuwait waiting to get transport back to Iraq... but because his weapon is secured at the last camp/airbase he traveled through in Iraq (many miles from his company's old position and many, many miles from their new camp), he has to travel back there to retrieve it (apparently, that's the rules.) So he has to wait in Kuwait until there's transport available to that original point of deportation and then has to wait at that camp/airbase a few more days to get transportation to his final destination. It's not like you can just catch a train -- [apparently] somebody's got to be going your way.
The "up" side of that (at least for me anyway) is that it might take him until after the weekend to get where he's going. I'm certain our son (who has the patience of a gnat usually -- wonder where he gets that from?) is not particularly happy about just hanging out with nothing to do... though he sounded pretty stoic about it. After I told him about my conversation with the Guys, he said he'd take a few cartons of cigs to them and try to round up some of the dire necessities before he headed back (I'm telling you the bond is great...)

He said his flights back were fine although he couldn't sleep and has been awake almost non-stop since he left the US on Tuesday. He's hoping that now that he's in Kuwait he'll be able to catch some rest in the next few days. He sounded good -- although I'm certain he misses his home and his friends. Couldn't tell if it was resignation to being back or just weariness in his voice... Certainly didn't hear any jubulation.

Seems that with 15 days of unlimited computer access, he still didn't get done some of the things he needed to do... So he asked me to call up his favorite soldier clothing place and get him some green (not tan) sew-on (not clip on) sets of his new rank and be sure to order extra sets in case some of the Guys need them... and a poncho liner in green... and what's his new address? (which unbelievably I already know by heart and even more amazingly could recite at 4:00 in the morning from a dead sleep! damn I'm good LOL!) and could I get online and order him a pair of desert jungle boots and charge them to his credit card? (I went to the internet site he told me and I'll have to wait for guidance as there are not less than six styles of principally the same boot... From experience I know that the wrong pair will destroy his feet -- if he'd even wear them at all...) I've always wanted to run my own personal shopping service... LOL. So far in this deployment, I have shopped for tactical shooting glasses, gun lubricant (none better than Militec-1 which provides and ships the world's best gun lubricant to soldiers in combat areas totally FREE), kevalr shooting gloves... But these are simple things that make me feel like I'm doing something...

And he did thank us for everything... and told us that he loves us (such a good son!) Not sure when we'll hear from him again, but it just can't be soon enough!

Update: So I have an IM this morning from one of "my Guys" and I let him know that our son is going first to retrieve his weapon and then will make his way back... He says, "um, Mom, we have his weapon here." So I say, "Wonder why they don't know that in Kuwait?" Seems because my son had gone on R&R before his company relocated their AO, he is unaware that the weapons people collected his weapon and brought it along when they moved... sigh. Hope someone tells him or he calls again...

Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

At 7/15/2005 4:11 AM , Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

I haven't heard from Dan for a couple of days. He was suppose to go to his final destination on the 13th or 14th. I heard there was a sand storm over there yesterday. Naturally, I worried about flying in that. Dan has been at Camp Buehrain for the last 3 weeks. Wouldn't it be something if Dan ran into your son. Praying for safe travel for them all.

 
At 7/15/2005 5:45 AM , Blogger Stacy said...

I sure hope that he is able to get some rest.

My family would love to send some of these guys some packages. We love shopping for them, and since my soldier has not let me send him anything in the past month, I really need to feel needed. They have had so much stuff mailed to them, that they have ask us to please hold up on sending packages until further notice from them. So please email me with some names and addresses, and we would love to help the guys out. I think that you have my email, but if not let me know, and I will send it to you.

 
At 7/15/2005 7:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ROCK! I love coming here & reading your blog! (but I usually cry when I do)
my (daily) prayers are with you & your son & all the military & their families. May God keep your son safe & bring him home soon! Stay strong-you are doing an awesome job of it! Tell your son thank you from a proud American!
Theresa
Georgia

 
At 7/15/2005 10:01 AM , Blogger Melinda said...

So glad you heard from your son. 4 a.m. is as good of a time as any, right?

I'm sure his tone of voice is due to him being tired, but also not being able to jump right back in...seems like my husband had that tone when he was marking time somewhere. Hurry up and wait.

{{Hugs}}...you know I'm thinking of you and your guys.

 
At 7/15/2005 2:51 PM , Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Soldiers mom, I tried to email you, but the address you gave me, a few months ago, came back as an error.
I was going to tell you where Dan was going in Iraq. Who knows maybe your boy will be close to him?
I hate to put that in a comment. You never know who will read it.
I would like to send some stuff to these soldiers also. I would like to tell them thanks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home