color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: Hey it’s good to be back home again

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Hey it’s good to be back home again

As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let you down probably will. You will have your heart broken probably more than once and it's harder every time. You'll break hearts too, so remember how it felt when yours was broken. You'll fight with your best friend. You'll blame a new love for things an old one did. You'll cry because time is passing too fast, and you'll eventually lose someone you love. So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never been hurt because every sixty seconds you spend upset is a minute of happiness you'll never get back. Live for today... tomorrow may never come.
***********************
We're Home safe. Weather out East was hot and humid and then cold and rainy. Tired. Suprising how weary you can get from sitting doing nothing in cars, planes and airports for the better part of the day. The memorial service was sad, but it was good to gather with her friends and hear the good and funny stuff. And if you want to see some people's true nature just put some money and/or power in the air... Whew. I'll put up some of that soap opera in a future post. (The Will was found but that has led to more drama than even I could imagine... Sometimes you really can't make this stuff up!)
The whole tragedy has sparked some deep conversations between DH and myself about putting things we have told the kids and family in writing so that there can be no misunderstanding between children and siblings (turns out that my friend's sister and mother's idea of a funeral/memorial did not jibe with what the children's understanding of their mom's wishes were -- and that was just the start of the drama... but more some other day.) But just so I'm clear, when that Day comes (Dearest Lord, make it many years from now): donate my usable organs, cremate the rest, bury some of the dust & ashes with DH and make diamonds from the rest ("Oh, what a lovely ring." "Yes, thank you, it's my Mother.") Go ahead and cry if you want. I'll understand, but don't cry too long. When you're ready, have a big party (I'm paying): rent a hotel, say some prayers, then play lots of Toby Keith, Nazareth, Aerosmith, Eagles, Gretchen Wilson, Emmylou, Rob Thomas, B.B., Clapton, Meatloaf... and be sure to play it all LOUD... serve lots alcohol... dance, hug, hold hands... tell funny and bawdy stories about me... laugh a lot and remember how much I loved you.
*************************
(For H&Z -- E's children)
Remember

Remember, I will still be here,
As long as you hold me, in your memory
Remember, when your dreams have ended,
Time can be transcended,
Just remember me
I am the one star that keeps burning, so brightly,
It is the last light, to fade into the rising sun
I'm with you,
Whenever you tell, My story,
For I am all I've done
Remember, I will still be here,
As long as you hold me, in your memory,
Remember me
I am that one voice, in the cold wind,
That whispers,
And if you listen, you'll hear me call across the sky
As long as, I still can reach out, and touch you,
Then I will never die
Remember, I'll never leave you,
If you will only,
Remember me
Remember me...
Remember, I will still be here,
As long as you hold me,
In your memory
Remember, When your dreams have ended,
Time can be transcended,
I live forever,
Remember me
Remember me,
Remember... me...
"Remember" (from the sound track of the movie "Troy")
lyrics by Cynthia Weil, music by James Horner, as performed by Josh Groban
************************
And back to the reason for this blog: Noah's still progressing -- he's getting back to his sassy self... the Guys called him a day or so ago and things are REALLY heatin' up where they are... no fatalities among the Good Guys with the latest stuff (can't say the same for the bad guys!) but two of our soldiers are headed to Germany and home (none of Our Guys), but close enough for rock and roll... the not being there for his Buds is getting harder on Noah...
And sorry... light on the blogging again this week... a dear Friend is visiting all week from New York and I plan to lift my spirits and do some serious relaxing and showing off all the wonders God gifted to Arizona. (and LET'S GO YANKEES!!!!)
Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

9 Comments:

At 10/09/2005 2:29 AM , Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Welcome home SSM. Sorry to hear that the worst was brought out by the death of your friend. Your writings remind me of a funeral I once did the music for...in the eulogy they read a piece called,How did you spend your dash. It was the dash that they put on the headstone (1948-2005)Then they read how he would like to be remembered. They told of all the good things that he had done in his life. I thought that was so neat. I would really have liked to had a copy of it, but I never got it. I guess he requested (his dash) it to be read at his funeral.
Enjoy your week. Glad you made it back home safe and sound.

 
At 10/09/2005 8:25 AM , Blogger Stacy said...

So good to have you back safely. You were in my thoughts many many times over the past week.

Glad to know that Noah is getting back to his old self.

Enjoy your friend, relax and have lots of fun.

 
At 10/09/2005 1:49 PM , Blogger Melinda said...

I looked forward to you coming home & updating all week. I didn't think I'd be bawling all over myself when I read it, though!

You are so right! And, thanks for the opening paragraph. Having a day where I'm wasting too many of my 60 seconds...

Hope you have a fantastic time with your firend!

 
At 10/09/2005 5:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, you were missed. Good advice you've offered too. Enjoy the week with your friend, you've earned some down time.

 
At 10/09/2005 5:24 PM , Blogger barb pfister said...

Glad you are back safe and sound. So glad Noah is getting back to his old self. Have a great time with your friend, you deserve it.

Barb

 
At 10/10/2005 7:29 PM , Blogger Jen said...

I really like the opening to this post. Did you write it? I'd like to repost on my blog, as well.

 
At 10/10/2005 9:22 PM , Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

Jen, I did not write it, but wish I had. It was recently sent to me and no author was ascribed... So feel free to use (but appreciate a hat tip).

 
At 10/10/2005 10:04 PM , Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

Welcome home and yes you were missed.....

Yes Deaths and funearls always bring many a lesson to those around.

It is a nice whisper to pay attention to. Always good to have a plan...and always nice to do what we can for those left behind.

I still hear my mother voice daily......

 
At 10/11/2005 5:00 PM , Blogger Jen said...

You've been linked on my blog for some time, but I'll give you another shout out. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home