color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: Before I Was a Soldier's Mom

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Before I Was a Soldier's Mom

Before I was a Soldier's Mom

I never tripped over a rucksack or knew the words to the Army song.

I didn't worry whether or not my child could shoot or had "zeroed up".

I never imagined saying, "Good job!" when my child told me he had jumped out of a perfectly good airplane... or when he qualified with a grenade launcher.

I could not have told you the difference between division, brigade, regiment, battalion, company, platoon or squad.

I cheered for Navy.


Before I was a Soldier's Mom

I never looked into a soldier's eyes and cried.

I didn't understand "HOOAH".

I never imagined I could be so gloriously happy over a simple "Hey, Ma."


Before I was a Soldier's Mom -

I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.

I slept all night.

I never sat up late staring at a computer screen or woke in the middle of the night just to check if the computer and cell phone were working.


Before I was a Soldier's Mom

I never knew that so few words could affect my life so deeply: Deployment. Bradley. Wounded. and I never knew the alphabet could rob me of breath: OIF. IED. RPG. WIA. KIA.

I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop my child's hurt.

I didn't weep at the sound of "Taps", the National Anthem or "American Soldier".

I never held back a scream or had my knees go weak at an unexpected knock at the door.


Before I was a Soldier's Mom -

I never had so many sisters! (and brothers) nor so many sons and daughters!

I never felt fear so completely.... and


I never felt such pride.


HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE MILITARY MOMS!!
FIRST YOU ROCKED THEIR CRADLES... NOW THEY ROCK THE WORLD.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 5/08/2008 12:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to YOU!

 
At 5/09/2008 6:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

your post is very touching. =)

HAPPY MOTHERS TO ALL MOMS!!!

 
At 5/09/2008 4:52 PM , Blogger Helen said...

We love you! Happy Mother's Day!

 
At 5/09/2008 6:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's wishing you a "VERY" special and Happy Mothers Day too!!
You Rock!!!

 
At 5/09/2008 8:26 PM , Blogger Christine said...

That was beautiful.

I hope your Mother's Day is a wonderful with all your children safe and sound.

 
At 5/10/2008 5:10 AM , Blogger sfbravomom said...

Your post was wonderful. As a soldier's mom, it gets scarey and lonely, so it's a comfort to know that there are others out there who know exactly how I feel without knowing me personally.
Enjoy mother's day with your family.

 
At 5/10/2008 11:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before you were a Soldier's Mom, so many other Soldiers' moms had no voice of experience to turn to. Thank you for sharing your experiences and helping others learn what to expect, the good, the bad and the ugly.

We love you. HOOAH!

 
At 5/10/2008 1:38 PM , Blogger MaryAnn said...

Beautiful post, SSM.

Happy Mother's Day! Love you!

 
At 5/10/2008 11:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read an article the other day about a woman that had 18 kids.

She has nothing on you mom!

Happy Mother's Day from one of your oldest kids!

 
At 5/11/2008 5:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you've said it all so well.
A very happy Mother's Day to you!
Cathy B

 
At 5/15/2008 2:15 PM , Blogger kbug said...

Nicely said, as usual. Hope your Mothers Day was a nice one. All my babies were here...Seth and Katie were in for his pre-deployment leave...so it was a wonderful Mothers Day for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home