color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: Blackout

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Blackout

In "chatting" with some other military parents and spouses in my son's division, it appears that there is one of the (luckily few) blackouts -- no phone calls, emails, etc. from our soldiers... I'm learning that these blackouts can occur for a number of reasons. For instance, if one or more soldiers are seriously injured or killed in action... and the event is reported identifying the FOB affected or the unit affected. The powers that be have determined (rightfully) that if the other soldiers from the affected units are allowed to communicate with those back home before the families of the injured soldiers have been officially notified, those families will actually get a kind of informal notification based on the LACK of contact with their soldiers. I'm led to believe this is the current case but I hope not. I can't find info of any major action in the units AO (area of operations...)
I also understand that if there has been a breach of OpSec (Operational Security) via telephones, email, etc. communications priviledges are restricted to remind soldiers that loose lips sink ships...
On the other hand, I also know these blackouts occur for other reasons: they can all get really busy and stay busy for long periods of time... and sometimes, the comm lines are down... broken.
I wish it was always that the comm lines were down. Hoping we all her from our guys soon...
Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

3 Comments:

At 4/21/2005 5:35 AM , Blogger Stacy said...

I have not heard from my son since Monday. I do know for a fact that several of the soldiers from the 155th out of MS were injured. He has told me that when someone gets injured from the 155th, that they do shut all communication down. It usually takes several days after something has happened, before I finally hear from my son.

 
At 4/22/2005 12:07 PM , Blogger devildog6771 said...

That ahs to be terribly hard to handle. I offer my prayers and best wishes.

 
At 12/31/2007 9:21 AM , Blogger Amor Vincit Omnia said...

I gooogled OPSEC Backout and came across your post. THanks for the info, I have been trying to figure out what it means and why it happens as I havent heard from my man in a week or so and he had previously warned of communicaiton blackouts this time of year.

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home