color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: My Guys Are Gone... Again

Sunday, March 11, 2007

My Guys Are Gone... Again

My Guys left for Iraq today... again. I wasn't at Fort Benning as I was in 2005, and my son didn't deploy this time, but I found myself thinking about my other "sons" all day -- Vinny & Rob. This time the Guys are married (both of these and many others will miss their first wedding anniversaries)... And they're two years older -- 21 and 22 this time instead of 19 and 20 like the last ... and both of My Guys have been there before. It's little consolation. They may be older, although far from old... but then again far older in many ways than those of us who have not been to war... not once but twice. How incongruent can it be that 21 year olds are the "old guys" the "new guys" will look to in the chaos of war?

So we're back to the worry. We're back to the waiting. We'll watch the news. And we won't. It's all more of the same... only different.

As for Noah, he's been a little down the last few days... helping his friends get ready for deployment, but with him not deploying, it's hard. It's even harder if he lets himself think about the consequences of war... He hasn't forgotten how many didn't return last time... no one has forgotten. No one will ever forget. And it's likely he'll have been medically discharged before his unit redeploys. Difficult. For now, he's assigned to the Rear Detachment, helping where he can and assisting the families of those deployed until he slays the "paper dragon" and the Army decides what will be his fate.

I know that there are those in American who claim to be suffering from "Iraq Fatigue"... but I really don't want to hear it. Really. How self-absorbed can you be to say you are "sick of the War" and "don't want to hear about Iraq" any more? When they say those things they disrespect these fine young men... and those of us who know why they serve should never miss the opportunity to remind them from time to time not only of these soldiers, but also of the families they have left for at least a year... reminded of the mothers, fathers, wives and children who remember every minute of every day that their loved ones are away.

Hurry home, my sons. Stay safe. Remember -- eyes up, heads & asses down!

Copyright 2007 Some Soldier's Mom. All rights reserved.

10 Comments:

At 3/12/2007 5:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am praying for their safe return.
I am amazed by their willingness to stand in harms way to protect our way of life.

 
At 3/12/2007 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping them in your thoughts, mom.
Love, Hoang

 
At 3/12/2007 9:23 PM , Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

Hoang, You know your hubby and the others will always be special to me. Don't forget to drop a line now and then (and be sure your sweetheart does the same!) -- and be sure to let me know if the Guys need anything!! I'll be watching AIM. {{{REALY BIG HUGS}}} to you and him. -- Mom

 
At 3/13/2007 4:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Marine Mom is praying with you. My son will probably be replacing some of those for whom you are now praying. He has just celebrated his 19th birthday and will finish training (Infantry) in a few weeks. We expect to spend Easter, July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years' without him, but it's okay. His attitude is "just let me do some good over there."

 
At 3/14/2007 7:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom,

God love ya'. We all need "moms" like you. You are truly a blessing and comfort.

I pray your "sons" stay safe.

SSgt RM Perkovich, USMC

 
At 3/14/2007 4:59 PM , Blogger Kat said...

"How self-absorbed can you be to say you are "sick of the War" and "don't want to hear about Iraq" any more? When they say those things they disrespect these fine young men... and those of us who know why they serve should never miss the opportunity to remind them from time to time not only of these soldiers, but also of the families they have left for at least a year.."


AMEN!!!!!! someone said that to me last year during my 4th of july card drive... I definitely ranted about that for quite a while... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Praying for all our heroes who just went over... and for the ones who stayed behind... (((hugs)))

 
At 3/14/2007 6:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well, well...I knew those dozens of cookies in my freezer wouldn't go to waste. :)

I'll be thinking of they guys as well and if you hear of any one needing a chocolate chip cookie shipment, you know the gal to call!

 
At 3/21/2007 5:46 AM , Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Carla, our boys are in my prayers.
God be with them to day and always.
God bless our troops.

 
At 3/21/2007 11:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soldier's Mom,

Three of my four sons are currently serving in Iraq; this is the 2nd Iraq tour for one of them. Luckily, one will be home next month. I have found plenty of people who support the guys with prayers and admire all of the troops. Yes, we live in a red state. I understand a little how your son feels. One of mine is upset that he will have to remain at the FOB at times, not able to go out, even though he is doing valuable work. Many of us pray for all the troops. In the meantime, I have no advice to keep the fear at bay.

 
At 3/21/2007 9:49 PM , Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

Army Mom -- oh my gosh, girl -- have they prescribed you medications? I struggled through one deployment with one son there... three?? Our thoughts & prayers will be with you and your "boys". Be sure to let us know if they need anything!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home