color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: Another One of Those Freaking Me Out Kind of Days

Friday, April 29, 2005

Another One of Those Freaking Me Out Kind of Days

Another one of those freaking me out kind of days. The DOD press release says bombings in Baghdad… but also one of the standard little blurbs that so unnerve me:

“The previous evening, an improvised explosive device detonation near ***** killed one U.S. soldier from Task Force **** and wounded four others. The wounded soldiers were evacuated to a coalition medical facility and are in stable condition. The names of the soldiers killed and wounded are being withheld pending notification of their families.”

That’s my son’s task force. And that’s one of the towns they patrol. And I haven’t heard from him in a couple of days. So I turned the volume up the pc first thing this morning and listened for the “Moo” or one of the other special sounds programmed to his battle buds all day. None has been online since early yesterday morning U.S. time, early afternoon in Iraq. So I kept busy. My soldier’s dog has been really ill for the last two weeks but she came home this morning from the animal hospital, on some medication and has to be fed small amounts of food every few hours. Watched some baseball. Shampooed the carpets in the house. Walked the dogs to walk off some of MY nervous energy. Cruised the news channels and news sites. It’s so frustrating -- it’s not like we can call and leave a message on his cell phone or ring a roommate to check up on him… It’s waiting… and wondering… praying. Praying for my son and all the other soldiers… my heart pained that some soldiers’ parents will be getting that call or that visit. And I know tonight will be a night of tossing and turning… and cursing the clock… until he emails or calls. I’ve already figured out that it never gets easier. You worry. You always worry.

I’d like to close by thanking all the Vietnam vets for their service to our country on the 30th anniversary of the end of the war. I’ll do a separate post on that soon.
Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

3 Comments:

At 4/29/2005 10:39 PM , Blogger Sue said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to you. No matter how much you try not to let your worries get the better of you, it is a constant battle to keep emotions in check. I hope your son is just under the communications lockdown and will contact you as soon as he can.

Hugs to you in the meantime!

 
At 4/30/2005 10:04 AM , Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

You are in my prayers. I can only imagine what you are feeling. I pain for the families of the fallen or injured everytime I hear of these cursed bombings or IEDs going off. I am hoping your son calls or emails soon.
Sometimes, I think it was better when our communication systems weren't so advanced. Now we know within hours. I don't know if that is good or not.
Yes a BIG THANK YOU to our Vietnam veterans. Cathy, Dan's mom

 
At 4/30/2005 6:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you. Being a veteran of Korea and Vietnam and having heard my mom and wife's comments after my return, I understand the nerveousness of the situation. I do want you to know that the service of all our military and their families is greatly appreciated, please read this

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home