color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: "Over There" -- Episode II

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

"Over There" -- Episode II

Forget what I said in my last post about this show... Not only should they sh*tcan that stupid song but Bochco and fX should sh*tcan the entire show. Period. It sucks.

Could you portray a more asinine group of people -- that every time they see blood they start screaming like little girls (jeez, and I'm a girl albeit an older girl)? There is no order at the check point... no one has a specific role/assignment... one guy approaches a car and everyone else hides behind the sandbags? No concertina wire? One little sign? One set of lights -- not even aimed up the road but up in the air? Now, I'm not a soldier, but something tells me there's a pretty well-honed SOP for checkpoints. And the only two soldiers manning a CP -- who know that they could be shot and killed every minute of the day and night put their weapons down to have a fist fight? What was that honkey white boy sh*t? Has anyone actually said that since 1971? Could they not have portrayed these men as professionals -- yes, jittery. Yes, intense. Yes, making life and death decisions in an instant. But the only thing I liked about this show at all was the 3rd Infantry Division insignias.
And I'm no doctor or nurse (though I have substantial exposure to the medical field) , but a patient -- gravely wounded, a recent amputee, which would require heavy doses of narcotics -- no bed rails up, rips out his IV, falls to the floor and a nurse (?) in BDU's comes running into the room with a syringe already fully loaded with some medication, and injects a patient lying on the floor?? And this soldier -- who was a victim of a horribly powerful VBIED -- has no other wounds -- no shrapnel, no damage to the other leg -- and heaven forbid the pretty boy should have a nick or wound to his face? And he's sitting up in bed perfectly coherent... (See Captain Z's picture at From My Position.... On the Way (http://tcoverride.blogspot.com/) to see the extent of injuries from an IED.)
Even from someone who only marginally knows how these things work, I'd say this show is off the mark... And I really didn't care for the "dream sequence" and torture of an American soldier... As much as my son wants me to record this show, I'll just have the first two episodes as keepsakes. I won't be watching again.
And, in closing, I've decided that the theme song could possibly be THE WORST song ever ... ok, maybe "MacArthur Park" has it beat, but just by a smidge... but it is certainly is the worst television theme song ever.

4 Comments:

At 8/04/2005 3:57 AM , Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

You know, I forgot all about that show being on last night. I watched PBS. The history of Sun Recording studio and it's artist.
I'm glad I forgot about it. it sounds like by your post,I did not miss anything.

 
At 8/04/2005 10:26 AM , Blogger Melinda said...

Mom, I think you really need to stop holding back and tell us what you truly think. LOL

I caught bits & pieces but just couldn't watch; it makes everyone look so stupid...can't take that.

 
At 8/04/2005 10:46 AM , Blogger StoicMom said...

I quit watching it last week when they showed a scene of two guys sitting on their cots in a tent. The tent was much too neat. From the pictures my nephew bought home from Iraq, and from the scenes in Gunner Palace, the living quarters are somewhat crowded and not neat at all. Hollywood is so clueless.

 
At 4/03/2007 5:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am a disabled veteran.
I loved the show. Though it was fiction; some of the scenes brought me home. I would do anything to get the show back.
The show "Over There" made me proud to be a USN Corpman.

God Bless America

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home