color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

One ringy-dingy (snort). Two ringy-dingys (snort snort.) 8:00AM and "Hey, Ma!" WHOOOHOOO!

He says, "Have you been watching the news?" Ummm, yeah. I got news for soldiers in Iraq: your families may be going about their lives (somewhat), but we are consumed by your existence 24 hours a day. We live and breathe all the news we can get. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the MSM doesn't give a rat's ass what's happening over there if it's good news and shows that we are defeating the terrorists.
He says they have been very busy and he tells me some of the details of a recent mission... on a hotel (not at or in a hotel, but ON a hotel) in the city where he is deployed. He and his platoon got a bunch of the bad guys. I tell him, "Good job!!"
He's getting care packages and the food is what's keeping them alive (LOL). He got the boots but they're a little big so he's gonna get them wet... he received his new rank insignia... the fan has already burned out and he and Dad have a discussion on amps or volts or whatever. We'll try again. He hasn't gotten the socks yet, but he has gotten a few boxes from people he didn't know (he wrote down the names but forgot the list on his bunk). I rattle some names but he just can't remember (so that must be you girls!!!) He got some of the packages Aunt L. has sent...
They aren't actually at the camp listed in their mailing address but are, rather, at a "Combat Outpost". He characterizes the meals they get as the main camp's leftovers and, no, they are lucky to get 2 meals a day... He says to send spaghettios, Oreos, ready to eat soups, and cereal bars. That's the things they really like. He's sharing with his old platoon and his new platoon.
He asks if we are looking for that specific truck (Toby Keith would be proud) and we say there are tons around 'cause with gas prices so high, everyone is getting rid of big cars and trucks.... When I tell him gasoline is approaching and in some areas over $3.00 a gallon, he actually turns to his comrades in line for the phone and tells them -- which results in a whole chorus I can hear of "No shit!" "Holy shit!" and a few "WTF"s. So much for going to war for the oil, huh? And he says, well maybe he'll have to look for something a little more economical...
I say we haven't seen him online... My technology-addicted but patience-challenged child has not been online because the internet is so slow that they usually cannot even access their email and it's why their IM sessions are so short -- the connections are unreliable and transient.
He asks that I send some college catalogs and he asks if when he moves back in, can we rebuild the lower level of our home to his apartment? His Dad pales, but I say we'll look into it (it's a Mom thing). He says he wants to have a big family reunion next summer and can we rent a house in Sandbridge, VA where we had some exceptionally memorable vacations over the years? I say we could probably do that... and he says it better be a big house 'cause he's bringing... and he lists half the US Army! (That's our son: affable, friendly and very free with other people's money LOL). I say, "You know your brothers are all welcome...
All too soon, he says he's "gotta go" because he only has a few minutes before he has to give up the phone and he wants to call V., a girl back in New York. We tell him to call as often as he can even if it's just for a few minutes. He tells us he loves us, says thanks for everything... We tell him we love him and to stay safe. "Bye, Momma. Mmmwahs." And silence.
If my knees were 20 years younger, I'd do cartwheels! Instead, I exuberantly thank the Good Lord for the call and our son's continued safety. There is no better high in the world than his voice these days -- Heck, even cleaning the windows and washing the floors today will not dampen my spirits!!
Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.
11:30AM: If you haven't already seen Matt Lauer (and the MSM) get "zinged" by a US Soldier on air this morning during Lauer's unannounced trip to Camp Liberty in Iraq, mosey on over to the NewsBusters site... Be sure to watch the video and read the story! Good one!! h/t BLACKFIVE And if you want to see the whole video of that segment go http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3032633/?ta=y

8 Comments:

At 8/17/2005 11:56 AM , Blogger Stacy said...

Wonderful news. Oh how we love to hear their voices. Nothing better. He sounds so much like my soldier. I am so glad that he is getting packages. My soldier knows all about the slow internet. It sucks, but when that is all you have, you have to make do.

After supper last my son told me that he sure wished that I could go back with him so that I could feed him. I just smiled, and said I would go in a heart beat, right along with lots of other moms if they would let us. He says he knew that we would feed and take care of them. I just smiled, and had to walk out of the room, so he would not see the tears.

Our time sure is passing by fast. We have stayed so busy. Everyone wants to take us to supper/lunch, and we just can't seem to fit everybody in. I am sure you can relate to that.

I'll stop rambling on. Glad that you were able to get that call from your soldier. Decent night sleep tonight I bet.

 
At 8/17/2005 12:15 PM , Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

yeah, and we know if the Moms were there, they'd never let nothin' happen to us -- nothin' meaner than a son defending his momma LOL

take some quiet time with Michael and let the relatives and friends wait... because the time will be gone too soon... thinking of you!

 
At 8/17/2005 12:31 PM , Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

OH MOM! What great news. I could just cry. I am so glad you heard from him and thanks for telling us what he has been up to over the last 2 weeks. I am glad he got the packages and I am glad they got the bad guys. Dan told me yesterday it was quite were he was, that must of been because your soldier was keepin them busy in that hotel. I am so gald he called and that he and his buddies are okay. God Bless them and keep them safe.

 
At 8/17/2005 12:32 PM , Blogger Melinda said...

Sounds like an awesome phone call! Read the report over @ B5's about Matt Lauer...too funny.

I'd be happy to send your soldier boy a catalog or two from the school where I teach (incidentally my alma mater); great undergrad, graduate & law programs...just a thought!

 
At 8/17/2005 9:29 PM , Blogger Christopher Lee said...

Ma'am, first let me say thank you to your and your family. The sacrifices you all are making is one of the things that makes me proud to be an American. And the next time you speak to your son, tell him thanks for me. I'm writing because I was wondering if you would allow me to add a link to your blog on mine. I think my readers would really enjoy your site.

 
At 8/18/2005 5:33 PM , Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

oh yeah -- I have said they should let us Moms go... we'd have those FOBs ship shape in no time LOL -- and I know no one w/b complaining about the food and the laundry! LOL (what would Gloria Steinem be saying about us? wait -she's a mom -- she'd be saying GOOD CHOICE!)

 
At 8/19/2005 6:05 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Re: the Today show--it was just....SO inspirational to see, even after all this time and all their losses, those heroes so enthusiastic and optimistic about (and DEDICATED to) their mission.
They are SO AMAZING.

Glad you finally got to talk to your son. I've been checking back for updates. ;)

 
At 8/19/2005 7:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet you can still do a cartwheel mom! By the way, what a handsome family you have.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home