color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: CALLING ALL CITIZENS AND VETERANS OF YUCCA VALLEY, CALIFORNIA

Friday, October 28, 2005

CALLING ALL CITIZENS AND VETERANS OF YUCCA VALLEY, CALIFORNIA

SPC Timothy D. Watkins was one of the soldiers from Noah's unit killed in an IED attack in ar Ramadi on October 15, 2005. By all accounts Tim Watkins was a devoted Christian, a dedicated soldier and a good son. From the San Bernardino Sun:

"His executive officers tell me he would invite others to go to church with him any Sunday he wasn't on a mission," he said.

His faith was his passion, and he was fervent even in the midst of war. People were drawn to that, his father said.

His other passion was learning to fly. That was among the reasons he decided to join the military, Rob Watkins said. He had wanted to fly helicopters.

But he was equally passionate about serving and helping the people of Iraq, Rob Watkins said.

The young man had been passionate about his beliefs since childhood, his father said. He was converted to Christianity at age 5. He carried that through his entire life.

Tim Watkins was heavily involved in the church, taking part in school theatrical productions and working with children at Ironwood Christian Camp in Newberry Springs.

He was part of the ministry of Pacific Baptist College in Pomona and sang with a worship group.

"Tim died for a great cause, and we're proud of him," Rob Watkins said. "We miss him terribly. I'm just thankful for assurances we'll be together again."

A pretty remarkable young man.
But I have just discovered that the cretin Fred Phelps intends to protest at the funeral of SPC Timothy Watkins. This has upset me many times in the past, but this has left me distraught over the thought of the pain this imbecile intends to inflict on the family and friends of a hero who died in defense of our freedoms (and yes, Phelps freedom to be an idiot). I really hate how this guy blasphemes in God's name and I'm pretty sure I know what the Lord's response to Mr. Phelps will be come Judgment Day...
Many bloggers have written about the blasphemous and outrageous carnival rantings of Phelps, including Greyhawk at The Mudville Gazette, Banter in Atlanter, Assumption of Command... For anyone not familiar with this moron (and I'm sure there are many of you although not in Fred's mind) Phelps is the founder of a "Baptist" church (and I use that term loosely) in Kansas that contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. (Sometimes you just can't make this stuff up.) The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps children, grandchildren and in-laws. They carry the meanest, most vile and outrageous signs and shout at those attending the funerals of the soldiers...

I am calling upon all available citizens, veterans and military in the area of the Calvary Baptist Church in Yucca Valley, California on Tuesday, November 1st (Phelps plans to be there from 9:00AM-10:00AM) to counter this demonstration by whatever method works for you...
In Tennessee, the townspeople chased these loonies away. In Oklahoma, church ladies held up bed sheets with patriotic sentiments to block the view of protesters and VFW motorcycles drowned out protestors. In Indiana, the citizens came out to counter-protest. In Idaho, as The Stupid Shall Be Punished reported, the local police department ensured the safety of the wacko protestors by limiting contact with the ever-dangerous members of the general public by confining the protesters in an area down the block and around the corner from the funeral site while the local fire department was there to be sure there was ample fire protection for mourners and stationed themselves around the corner and down the block as well (loved that one!), and (thanks Blackfive) in Massachusetts, the bagpipers came out to drown out the fools. I'm sure there are any number of ingenious ways to shield the family from these servants of the devil.
I am not suggesting by any means that anyone personally engage these imbeciles, just that there be a presence to let the family and friends of SPC Watkins know that no one believes these cranks.... KNOW THAT THESE PEOPLE MAKE THEIR LIVING BY INCITING PEOPLE AND THEN SUING THEM FOR DAMAGES!! As Blackfive posted back in August, the advice given for military members if encountering these evil-doers at funerals and which is good advice for anyone wishing to counter-protest:
4. ALL DOD PERSONNEL/FAMILY MEMBERS PARTICIPATING IN OR ATTENDING MILITARY FUNERALS SHOULD BE MADE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:

4.A. SITUATIONAL AWARENESS OF REPORTED ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THE WBC AND THEIR METHODS.

4.B. DO NOT PERSONALLY ENGAGE PROTESTORS IN ANY WAY; VERBALLY OR PHYSICALLY.

4.C. ALLOW CIVILIAN AUTHORITIES TO ADDRESS ANY INFLAMMATORY SITUATIONS OR EFFORTS TO IMPEDE THE FUNERAL PROCESSIONAL.
And I'm asking that this get passed around the blogsphere and emailed to as many people as you think might be willing to counter such ill will and send a clear message to that publicity whore Phelps that soldiers' funerals are not the time or place... and allow the Watkins family to bury their hero with the love, dignity and the respect that he deserves.
Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.
Welcome to those arriving via...

13 Comments:

At 10/29/2005 3:11 AM , Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

SSM, did you get my email? I am just hoping it did not go to anyone else.

 
At 10/29/2005 5:26 AM , Blogger Stacy said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. This Phelps man is needs to be locked up, and the key thrown away.

 
At 10/29/2005 9:23 AM , Blogger Melinda said...

Oh, this is horrible. I cringe every time I read that Phelps and his minions are descending on another funeral of another hero.

I'll make sure this gets on my blog & I'll see how close some of my CA friends are to Yucca Valley...wonder how close DH and his buddies are?? Interesting field trip, I'd think.

GAH! That guy drives me NUTS!

 
At 10/29/2005 9:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Unbelievable...Phelps'group had the nerve to protest (and try to disrupt) Sunday services at my church a year ago. Before they descended on my hometown, I researched the group and was appalled: Phelps and his group use their "protests" as a venue to exude pure hatred for all sorts of people. Now, reading your post as a soldier myself (and the wife of a soldier currently deployed in Iraq) I am outraged that Phelps' followers have the nerve to expand the target of their hatred to include the very soldiers who protect their right to say such outrageous and hateful things.

 
At 10/29/2005 12:29 PM , Blogger THIRDWAVEDAVE said...

Mom--Your emails keep coming back for some reason. Fire one off to me as I have some questions regarding this funeral. Thanks.

Thirdwavedave

P.S. I posted about it too.

 
At 10/29/2005 4:53 PM , Blogger THIRDWAVEDAVE said...

Just a note: "The Right Place" posted for ya too. It's on my blogroll.

 
At 10/29/2005 7:47 PM , Blogger Kat said...

OMG ~ I wish I was there instead of here... OMG... this "person" (term used loosly) is just..... (words escape me... printable words, at least). grrr..... :(

 
At 10/29/2005 9:27 PM , Blogger Marathon Pundit said...

Posting it now....I've been keeping an eye on this mental nut-case since he stained Portage, IN in August at a soldier's funeral.

 
At 10/30/2005 5:52 AM , Blogger barb pfister said...

I will post this on my site as well. I just keep wondering why people have a bad image of Christians, do you think it would have anything to do with people like this!!!!! Thankfully God will have the final say on what happens to these people who say they are speaking in the name of God.

Barb

 
At 10/30/2005 7:36 AM , Blogger Anna said...

I have lurked here off and on and just wanted to let you know that I posted about this and linked to you. I had several good suggests from commentors including contacting not only the local police, but the firefighters and their union, the VFW, and any other veteran's group in the area. They are more than willing to help buffer the family.

Best of wishes in keeping this evil person away from the family. And our thoughts and prayers are with you, your son, and his friends and their families. And know that there are not enough words to express our gratitude for your son and his friends putting their lives on the line for us all.
Anna

 
At 11/04/2005 6:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please let your home help you. Post a favor for
the world to see.


http://www.domeafavorbuddy.com/beta/

 
At 12/15/2005 2:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't Let The Memory Of Them Drift Away
www.IraqWarHeroes.org


Phelps is an ugly creature. They protested in Yakima WA when I attended the 50+ memorial service for our fallen heroes.
I photographed them and called the set Faces of Hate
www.qfocal.com/photos/093005p . These people made me so angry.

 
At 5/16/2006 2:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being from the soldier aspect Phelps is just one of many people whom discust me! I find it amazing that people can live with their self after trying to dishonor our soldiers in such a way. However if you think of it they are not dishonoring them. Their honor is untouchable because unless you have been a soldier and know what it is to take the oath. There is absolutely nothing that can ever break that, unless the soldier himself brings dishonor to himself which almost never the case.

To Phelps and the rest of the nation that sits their fat butts on a curb and smokes refusing to take off thir hat while our flag is passing I feel sorry for them because they are the ones whom are dishonoring themselves and their family from which they came. But in no way would I say that they could ever take honor from our countries finest soldiers, they earned it, they keep it.

Something my father told me when I was growing up. If you show a reaction to a bully then you just lost the fight. If you deal with it without giving that person what he is looking for then they can't win.

True it could be annoying to have a croud of people on the other side of the street from a funeral service even one with full military honors. But from my point of view its not the croud I would care about it would be the friends, family and battle buddies surrounding me. Thats all that matters!

Don't let the bully win if the bully doesn't get a reaction then there is no reason for them to be there. Its a hard thing to do but the more you try to block them the more they will try to come. Give them what they are not giving you and your problems will be solved.

-SGT Matthew Demaree
US-Army, IRR

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home