color: SOME SOLDIER'S MOM: Met a Fellow Milblogger

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Met a Fellow Milblogger

I figure that eventually I will get to meet some of the other bloggers that I read and that read my blog… Many are already kindred sisters & brothers (and some, daughters!) But today, I met a wonderful young milblogger, Chris Missick.

More than a year ago, one of the first milblogs I read was A Line in the Sand (
http://www.missick.com) by Sgt. Chris Missick, a young Army Reservist from California deployed to Iraq in support of OIF II. Chris wrote intelligent and thought-provoking pieces as well as reported on the drudgery of the day-to-day life of a soldier in the Sandbox. He wasn’t in an infantry unit, but it was among my first glimpses of the life of a deployed soldier.

Over the year, he and I visited each other’s blogs and we communicated by email. When he redeployed early this year, we exchanged occasional emails as he acclimated to life back in the U.S.

Well, Chris – accompanied by two of his friends, Kyle and Ryan -- recently embarked on a cross-country trip to connect with supporters he had met through his blog but now wanted to meet personally. They kicked off the project in Carson City, NV the other evening at a reception attended by many people, including the Governor of Nevada. Describing the project on WEB OF SUPPORT.COM: The Blog (
http://www.webofsupport.com/), he writes:

“With the advent of blogging technologies, soldiers in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom have not just transformed the way we reflect on our nations 25 million veterans, they have also changed the way Americans are able to follow the lives of our service members and forge personal relationship with them in combat zones. As an Army Reservist and soldier blogger who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom, I can attest to the impact of battlefield blogs. My blog garnered attention from hundreds of thousands of visitors as well as mass media outlets like USA Today and CNN.

Returning home in March of 2005, I have set my heart on beginning an extensive road-trip through our country to personally thank the individuals I formed the deepest relationships with through the blog. The supporters I have selected offer a broad regional and demographic sample, and offer unique insight and stories that will prove to be inspiring and insightful. In a drastically new approach to a soldier’s memoir, Web of Support: How A Soldier’s Blog Connected Him With American Patriots….”

So Chris and the Web of Support passed through our town today and DH and I spent a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon chatting, exchanging stories, and generally exploring various topics related to the War, the War on Terrorism, terrorism, American attitudes, history of the Middle East, left politics, right politics, family... The visit was much too short and we hope Chris, Ryan (who served with Chris in Iraq) and Kyle will take us up on our invitation to pass this way on their return trip. Be sure to visit Chris's site for a travelogue and pictures of this odyssey... http://www.webofsupport.com/

Have a safe and enlightening journey, gentlemen!!

Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

7 Comments:

At 7/20/2005 4:52 AM , Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

That is so cool! Safe travels to you guys and thanks for your service, Chris.
Mom, I sent out a package to Reed. I told him to tell Noah when he gets it, so Noah can tell you. Next week I'll send out another package, to the next guy. I loved doing it. Such a small gesture, but with big rewards, that is in the feeling good department. It made my day...that is, just to thank a soldier, other than Dan. I am feelin good.

 
At 7/20/2005 6:24 AM , Blogger Kat said...

That is so awesome!!!! Wow, it's a small world...they're coming to Atlanta, too, LOL...omg day after tomorrow...I'm about to DIE of excitement, LOL!!!! :-)

I found your blog a few days ago and have been faithfully reading every day. I'm not a soldier's mom, at least, not "for real" ~ but I "adopt" soldiers thru www.adoptaplatoon.org... and I have to say that I love them all deeply and dearly, they do become like part of our family.

God bless you for your family's service and sacrifices for our country!!!! {{{HUGS}}} You are always in our prayers.

 
At 7/20/2005 9:15 AM , Blogger Melinda said...

That's really cool!!! I love the idea of a road trip to meet & greet people you've met in cyberspace. Sounds like a great way to spend some of summer!

 
At 7/20/2005 7:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great that you met a fellow blogger. I know from attending BlogNashville that it's an incredible experience to be able to put a face to a blog. I'm so happy you were able to have that experience. I hope I'm fortunate enough to meet you sometime!

 
At 7/21/2005 3:15 PM , Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

well, if I ever get invited to one of those blogfests, I'd certainly give it serious thought about attending!

 
At 7/22/2005 11:59 PM , Blogger Sean Dustman said...

I've been meeting bloggers left and right lately, don't worry we'll meet soon too. Little over a week to go:)

 
At 7/29/2005 9:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again for all the kindness and hospitality. I really enjoyed meeting you and your husband, and having a chance to sit down and talk. It's been an awesome trip thus far; we've met so many people who go out of there way to support the troops. I wish you all the best, and I hope you know that your sons are in my prayers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home